Saturday, September 29, 2007

Blogfrica Has Invaded The Above-Ground


Brethren: Woke up today and read the Charlotte Observer (like I always do -- ghey, I know). But I stumbled another gem -- it's really the paper that keeps on giving.

Stan Olson -- a fine human being for sure -- is trying to contain Blogfrica!

Stan writes a blog for the Observer about the Carolina Panthers. As the SportsBrethren have shown, we Panther fans can get emotional, irrational, but always passionate. So when the MainstreamMedia gives us Interweb-friendly Panther fans (not many of us, I know) an opportunity to vent and scream and kick and whine and yell to the Man, well, sometimes Blogfrica just can't help themselves. People make fun of each other, of Stan and his coverage of the team, and of non-sports-related things. And Stanny's trying to contain it, dammit!

I guess this is what happens when the MSM tries to get all down and dirty and underground and create a blog. And while this kind of post on one's blog would get an outrageous amount of Blogfrica hell on the WorldWide Leader -- deservedly so too -- I just find it kinda cute over at the Observer.

But another part of me thinks sometimes the Charlotte Observer blog comment section just ain't the place for Blogfrica too. Some outrageous racist things can get said by hooligans -- especially on the Bobcats blog -- for example.

In the end, I suppose that's what this Blogfrica is all about: the beautiful beauty and the dirty warts of sports fans -- all out in the Interwebs air.

Nacho, opinion?



Nacho: I was blissfully unaware of this "blog" ol' Stan & Pat write for the Observer, but my initial reaction fell along the lines of Hansel's heroes:

"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."


Whilst I may not know the intricacies of "Inside the Panthers," I do read blogs vocariously. I can understand Stan's idealistic desire to keep blogs squeaky clean, but that's a gross miscalculation. The internet is the Wild West, and its lawlessness is dealt with in only the most courteous of ways. Sorry, I meant to say, the lawlessness is met with whiny brats.

There will be racist comments, jumps to conclusions, and misconstrued messages as long as net neutrality exists. The long and the short of it is that, with blogs, you gotta take the good with the bad. You gotta take the witty and hilarious with the ignorant and belligerent. Them's the breaks.

That being said, I agree with Brethren that since it is a blog for the Charlotte Observer, and really doesn't amount to a hill of beans, why can't it be a rare, family-friendly repository? C'mon Charlotte, lets step up your "inoffensively-hilarious-as-Two-And-A-Half-Men" game.

What wacky antics await the gang this week?

No comments: